Week 14 Recap: Raiders get blown out of Arrowhead 48-9

Source: Jay Biggerstaff/USA TODAY Sports

The Raiders visited Arrowhead in Week 14 to try and take down their long-time AFC West rivals the Kansas City Chiefs. The 8-4 Chiefs were looking to sweep the 6-6 Raiders on the season, and they controlled Sunday’s game from start to finish on their way to a dominant 48-9 victory over the Raiders.

“Bad in all phases,” interim head coach Rich Bisaccia said after the game. “You have no chance of winning the football game when you turn it over five times… I told the coaches and the players in there that we have to look at ourselves as coaches, the players have to look at themselves as players.”

How it started

It’s no secret the Raiders have struggled with slow starts all season. This week was no different. The Raiders got the ball to open the first half, and on first down, handed the ball off to RB Josh Jacobs. The Kansas City defense wanted no part of that, forcing a fumble that would be recovered for a touchdown. The Chiefs took a 7-0 lead after only seven seconds.

The remainder of the first half consisted of failed third-down conversions and a run game that was completely shut down by the Kansas City defense. The highlight of the first quarter was former first-round pick, DE Clelin Ferrell, getting his second sack of the season. Chiefs led 14-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter started with the Kansas City offense marching down the field. They topped off their drive with a rushing touchdown by RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire. The Raiders’ next drive went nowhere, again. TE Foster Moreau bobbled a pass by Derek Carr, resulting in an interception by Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu.

The Chiefs weren’t done yet as their next drive resulted in another touchdown. Chiefs were up 28-0 as the Raiders offense took the field again. WR Hunter Renfrow caught a pass near the middle of the field, but the ball was quickly punched out for a fumble. The Chiefs recovered and the Raiders defense came onto the field once again.

The remainder of the half was uneventful at best and the Chiefs held a commanding 35-3 lead at the half over the Raiders at Arrowhead.

“Definitely disappointed,” Derek Carr said after the game. “Most of our guys work really hard and try our very best to put good stuff on tape and go win football games. When you come in here, I didn’t expect that outcome… We would execute to a certain level but execution is all the way to the whistle, and we didn’t do that.”

Closing it Out

The Chiefs received the ball at the beginning of the half when the Raiders defense finally made themselves known. Both DEs Yannick Ngakoue and rookie Malcolm Koonce recorded a sack, forcing the Chiefs to settle for a field goal.

The Raiders finally found the endzone with 3:29 left in the third quarter on a short touchdown pass to WR Hunter Renfrow, however, Daniel Carlson missed the PAT. That would be the last time the Raiders found the end zone.   

The game got far enough away from the Raiders for Kansas City to start pulling their starters. QB Chad Henne came in for Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs immediately ran for another score. With the win, the Chiefs improve to 9-4 and the Raiders fall to 6-7.

The Raiders travel to Cleveland to face the Browns on Saturday, Dec. 18th.

Share This Article

Support independent news coverage by sharing on your platforms

Leave a Reply